Sunday, January 17, 2010

Judging a Book by it's Cover

I recently read a blog controversy about book covers matching the content of the book. I wrote a response and promised to post the cover on my blog.
The cover was for a book about "Leadership and Performance Management in Government" for accountants. The request was for something 'modern' but not too 'edgy'. It was an interesting challenge.
Sometimes it is tough to produce a cover without some knowledge of the content. Umm, I have been known to balance my checkbook by using the ATM and checking the remaining balance.
I read the introduction to the book and the letters back and forth to the client. I did a little research on the client's website  and came up with this cover. I opted to illustrate 'balance', it seems very appropriate for accountants.
(I left the printers marks because I thought you might like to see what it looks like before it gets printed. Click to see a larger size.)
The outside of a book is as important as the inside. It entices the reader to open the book.

3 comments:

Sylvia said...

That is enticing! I like it a lot. I can't see how you could possibly have gone against the spirit of the content, even though you haven't read it.

Richard Jesse Watson said...

Challenging. Nice solution, Kate.

MG Higgins said...

I love that cover. It's really dynamic.