Monday, November 9, 2009

Mouse Update and PiBoIdMo

It’s National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo). A month where hundreds of authors are trying to finish a 50,000-word manuscript in 30 days. Just trying will get many out of their ruts and off their butts with the intensive self-imposed push to finish or start the novel. However, when you write and illustrate picture books PiBoldMo (PIcture BOok IDea Month) is the way to go. For me it’s trying to get submissions out, working on relevant illustrations I’ve put off and basically get ‘out there’ and it’s working.

Thanks to talented illustrator Ryan Hipp, PiBoIdMo participants now have a badge to proudly display on their blogs. (see on the right) I found this on Tara Lazar’s Blog – http://taralazar.wordpress.com. She has a great day-by-day blog for Picture book writers.

Mouse Update: The mice are gone. There were seven mice not three. Tiny little guys with big ears, big eyes and long tails. I caught them with a live trap called a “Tom Cat” a very easy, very effective way to trap studio mice in case anyone needs one. Now I am finding little bits of evidence all around my studio. They seem to have a very refined palate, it seems they like watercolor papers, handmade fiber papers, satin ribbons, tissue paper and postage stamps. I have found some very beautiful, colorful sleeping quarters in some unusual places; the bottom of my brush holder vase, under the file folders in my roll top desk and even behind my “How to Draw Animals” books…good choice. Next time I bring a box in from storage in the garage, I’m checking the contents for stow-aways before it comes in the studio.

Happy PiBoldMo!

No comments: