Wednesday, January 19, 2011

It’s a NOTEbook...

I love my notebooks, my plain, paper notebooks with or without lines. It might be a Moleskin like the great writers used or a black and white composition book or a fancy little notebook I received as a gift (or a prize). It might be one I’ve had for years or one I made myself. I can’t plug them in, recharge them or listen to music on them. It’s a NOTEbook! (Thank you, Lane Smith for your insight! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4BK_2VULCU )

A little notebook is good – you can stick it in your pocket or purse or backpack or under your pillow for those middle-of the night lists or ideas. A big notebook is good too – you can illustrate your ideas or combine lists or doodle your name or make a paper airplane. Big notebooks are also much harder to lose. Notebooks take you into the future and back to the past at the same time.

You recharge a notebook with ideas. You don’t have to worry about dropping them, unless you live near an ocean; salt water has an amazing affect on purple ink. In a notebook you can write with anything that makes a mark; pencils, crayons, burnt sticks, eyeliner pencils. And in desperate circumstances, you can even make impressions on the paper with a fingernail or just a nail. Anything to record that elusive thought, that perfect sentence, that unique tree, that great idea…that phone number of the bank.

One can never have too many notebooks (despite what my daughter says). To me a brand new notebook is like a blank piece of paper and a new, 67 count box of Crayons; the potential is intoxicating! I do love my notebooks!

What was the last great thing you wrote in a notebook?

4 comments:

Quill and Greyson said...

I have my current journal notebook, and then a different notebook for each story I am writing. Love em! But I like the non-fancy kind so I can make a mess... the fancy ones seem to fancy for my messy thoughts.

Quill and Greyson said...

Oh that was as Meg, fin doesn't have notebooks, but she will lay on them while I try to write.

Felicity Grace Terry said...

Someone after my own heart, mind you I feel pretty much the same about pens and especially pretty pens.

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

I hate the way the spiral gets all bent in my notebooks (to the point that I no longer purchase them). Instead I use looseleaf paper and a binder.